Admissions Information

Aboriginal student self-identification
Acceptance to UFV
Admission decision, basis for
Admissions guide
Additional application forms (program-specific)
Advanced Placement program
Applying for re-admission
Approved grade 12 courses
Competitive admission
Concurrent studies
English language entrance proficiency
Graduate programs
High school transcripts
High school - out-of-province
High school - international
How to apply

How to change your program
Important admissions dates

Interim high school grades
Placement tests 
Post-secondary transcripts

Program application information
Provincial exams for grade 12 courses
Special admission
Transfer between institutions
Visiting students

What happens after I apply?
What is a program?


What is a program?

A program is a structured set of courses that leads to a credential, such as a certificate, diploma, or degree.

Some programs include a practical component as well as theory courses. The UFV Calendar contains program information such as entrance requirements, course prerequisites, and program requirements. 

Certificates, diplomas, degrees

These are credentials you can earn when you complete a program. Diplomas and Associate degrees are generally two years in length and Bachelor’s degrees are usually four years, based on full-time study. Most programs can also be completed on a part-time basis over a longer period of time. Certificate programs vary in length, and are generally completed in one year or less. UFV offers credit certificate programs (about 1,000 hours of training) as well as non-credit certificate programs (about 200–300 hours of training).

Qualifying Studies

Qualifying Studies is for students who need to upgrade their education to gain admission to UFV certificate, diploma, or degree programs; are undecided about their post-secondary goals; have missed a university program admission deadline; have failed to meet the continuance requirements of a UFV program; or are studying for general interest. Students admitted to Qualifying Studies may begin taking courses in their preferred area, provided they meet course and program prerequisites and seats are available. 

Admission to Qualifying Studies allows you to:

  • take courses to satisfy the entrance requirements for a program, provided you meet the course prerequisites;
  • take courses to fulfill the first- or second-year requirements for professional programs; or
  • take a few courses to get started if you are not ready to enter a program. 

Laddering from one program to another

If you begin in a certificate, diploma, or associate degree, you may be able to “ladder” into another program, building on previously earned credentials. For example, credits earned in a diploma or associate degree could be used as credit toward a four-year degree in the same area. Check the current UFV calendar for additional details.

» Find programs offered and entrance requirements in the UFV calendar
» See programs accepting applications

Credit versus non-credit

There are two types of courses offered at UFV: credit courses, and non-credit courses. Credit courses may satisfy certificate, diploma, and degree requirements or may be taken for general interest. They have a credit value and are generally assigned a letter grade. Information about credit courses and programs can be found in the current UFV Calendar.

Non-credit courses are usually offered through Continuing Studies (CS) and can be taken for general interest, upgrading skills, employment, and/or professional development. Non-credit courses and programs are listed in the CS publication, published in August and December, and on the web at

Course Numbering

A consistent numbering system is used at UFV.  The course number indicates the course level, as follows:

Less than 100: Pre-undergraduate level (preparatory or developmental)

100 – 199:        Undergraduate (post-secondary), first year (lower level)

200 – 299:        Undergraduate, second year (lower level)

300 – 399:        Undergraduate, third year (upper level)

400 – 499:        Undergraduate, fourth year (upper level)

500 – 599:        Post-baccalaureate (not graduate level)

600 and above: Graduate degree level courses  

Three digit numbers are not used for Continuing Education non-credit courses.

Back to Top

Applying for re-admission

You will be required to apply for re-admission if:

  • you have not completed credit courses at UFV within the past two calendar years
  • you do not register for the first semester to which you are admitted
  • you withdraw completely in your first semester

Some programs require re-admission if attendance is not continuous, e.g., Health Studies programs, Applied and Technical Studies, Aviation, etc. Check individual program listings in the UFV calendar for more information.

An application (apply online) and a re-application fee are required to apply for re-admission.


Back to Top

How to change to a different program

Applications are not transferable from one program to another. If you wish to apply to a different program, submit another application. If you are a new applicant to UFV, and decide to pursue a different program for your initial admission to UFV, you must submit another application‌ and pay a re-application fee.


Back to Top

Placement tests

Students may be required to take tests which will help to determine skill levels and aid in selection of courses appropriate to their educational backgrounds and abilities. Placement tests may also be used to meet some entrance requirements and course prerequisites.

Take placement tests early — allow at least one month to receive your results from UFV.

Dates, times, locations, costs, minimum scores, and detailed handouts on UFV placement tests, are on the Assessment Services website or at the Assessment Services offices located in Building G (Abbotsford campus) and Room D117 (Chilliwack campus). Contact the Abbotsford office at 604-557-4006, or the Chilliwack office at 604-792-0025, local 2460.

Register for placement tests at any UFV Office of the Registrar.


Back to Top

Aboriginal student self-identification

At UFV, students of Aboriginal ancestry can choose to self-identify so that they may benefit from supportive programs and services. By doing so, students also enable UFV to identify, review, and analyze data that will contribute to improved programs and services for Aboriginal learners. More info...


Back to Top

Special admission

Any person who does not meet stated admission requirements may petition our Academic Standards committee for special consideration. Download a Request for Special Admission (pdf) form or pick one up at the Office of the Registrar. Requests for Special Admission, with supporting documents, should be forwarded to the Admissions Coordinator. The request must be accompanied by an Application for Admission (pdf) form, the application fee (currently $45), a letter from a UFV advisor or counsellor, a rationale from the applicant, and a copy of a recent high school transcript.

Special admission applicants may also be required to undertake testing, write provincial examinations, attend an interview, and/or write an essay in order to assess academic level. Applicants are advised to apply for special admission by April 30 for fall entry, October 31 for winter, or February 28 for summer semester. 

If you are a home school applicant, please contact UFV Admissions at the Office of the Registrar for further information.


Back to Top

Concurrent studies

Full, detailed information about Concurrent Studies is available in the online calendar. View more information on concurrent studies here.

Secondary school students may take courses at UFV while still working toward secondary school graduation, under the following guidelines:

  1. The student is attending a secondary school.
  2. The student is deemed to have strong academic ability or may benefit substantially by taking the university course.
  3. The student's parent or legal guardian provides written support, and the student's counsellor or principal provides a letter of recommendation.
  4. The student submits the following at least one month before the start of classes (earlier is recommended): Online Application for Admission with the required application fee; Request for Concurrent Studies (pdf); A recent high school transcript, including interim grades for the current term; A letter from the student's parent or guardian and the high school principal or counsellor; The student must indicate the specific course(s) and sections desired. Alternate choices are recommended. Documents can be emailed to or submitted in person at any campus.
  5. The student may request a maximum of two courses per semester, under normal circumstances. This limit may be increased in special circumstances, with approval of the appropriate dean. 
  6. The student is expected to meet course prerequisites, if any.

Requests are subject to the approval of the instructor and the department head, and the availability of a seat at the time the student registers.

Once the application is received and approved, the Office of the Registrar will:

  1. Ensure the request is sent to the course instructor(s) and program/department head.
  2. Advise the applicant of acceptance/non-acceptance and registration procedures.
  3. Concurrent studies students who have applied before registration times have been scheduled will register at the end of the regular registration period (later applicants will be scheduled with late applicants according to the date of application). 


Back to Top

Out-of-province equivalents to BC grade 12 graduation


Province or Territory Equivalent to BC school graduation
Alberta Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Saskatchewan Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Manitoba Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
(graduation prior to 2003)
Six OAC courses or grade 13
(graduation 2003 or later)
Secondary school (grade 12) graduation (new curriculum)
Quebec Completion of high school plus one full academic year at CEGEP
New Brunswick Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Nova Scotia Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Prince Edward Island Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Newfoundland Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Yukon Territories Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Northwest Territories Secondary school (grade 12) graduation
Nunavut Secondary school (grade 12) graduation


Back to Top

Equivalents to high school graduation from other countries

View a list of international upper secondary qualifications (pdf) that are considered equivalent to high school graduation for admission to UFV.


Back to Top


Applications currently being accepted for term indicated.

Applications currently closed until time indicated.

Dark green:
No intake for this program and term combination.

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV