Information for new Arts Students at UFV
Congratulations on being admitted to the College of Arts!
2014 New Arts Student Slideshow PDF
This presentation will get you started. It will assist you to find your way around UFV, and prepare you to register for classes.
- Tour the UFV website at www.ufv.ca. Check out the Future UFV students page.
- Log on to myUFV to access on-line services, including course registration, e-mail, course materials, news, calendar, UFV announcements and more.
- Start using your MyUFV email account (firstname.lastname@example.org) now. All correspondence from UFV is sent to your account. If you need assistance, consult the FAQ or call UFV's Help Desk at: 604-864-4610.
- Review the Arts Programs at UFV
- Prepare for Registration
- Refer to Important Registration Dates to find out when registration times are available for the upcoming semester.
- On or after this date, you can find your registration time through myUFV.
- Use your UFV student ID and password to log in.
- Make the following selections:
- Student Information
- Check your registration time and eligibility
- Here are the new BA Admissions requirements and Arts Programs worksheets.
Not sure which classes to take?
Check out the 1st Year Study Themes. The classes are ideal for new students since
they don't require any prerequisites.
You may need our Step-by-step registration.
Sign up to work with a Peer Mentor
Peer Mentors are 3rd and 4th year Arts students who are trained to help you make a smooth transition to university life.
Learn more about the RBC Arts Peer mentorship program
Come in and talk to us!
Please free to Book an Appointment with an Arts Advisor to discuss this information.
The Arts Advice Centre at UFV:
Abbotsford Campus B249
We look forward to seeing you at UFV!
PDF version of this form
1. Pay $200 deposit prior to registration time
- Pay in person at the Office of the Registrar (Admissions), at any campus.
- Pay online through your bank, at least two days prior to registration. Use your student ID as the payee account number.
2. Find your registration time through myUFV.
- Select 'Student information'
- Select 'Registration'
- Select 'Check your registration time and availability'
- Select the term from the drop down menu and hit 'SUBMIT'
- ‘you may register during the following times/dates’ will appear, showing the times you may register, for example: June 23 (2 PM) – Dec 5. You may register anytime during this period.
3. Unsure of which courses to take? Don’t worry!
- Any university-level courses you qualify to register for at UFV during your first semester will count towards your Bachelor of Arts Degree.
- Look through the BA General Requirements for course choices.
- The UFV Calendar is a great place to find course descriptions and prerequisites.
- Check out the New Arts Student Study Themes for choices that you might find interesting.
- Some courses taken during your first semester can help you gain useful core skills for courses you will take in subsequent semesters, for example ENGL 105, or PHIL 100. These two courses will also fulfill your reasoning and writing requirements for your degree.
- Look at the semester timetable to find courses you are interested in, and where (which campus) and when they are offered. The course registration number (CRN) denotes each course, and where, when, and which campus it will be held at. You will need to note your chosen CRNs when you register (whether online or in person).
4. Create your schedule.
- Use the blank timetable worksheetto record your class dates, times and location.
- The Interactive Course Finder can help you find class offerings and availability.
- Make sure there are no class time conflicts – allow extra time if you travel between campuses.
- Remember classes that have labs associated with them are like an additional class: each has their own time, location, and CRN. Don’t forget to add them to your timetable, as both CRNs must be entered to register. Failure to enter the lab CRN will result in a link error message.
- Make sure to include your other commitments (work, extra-curriculars) in your timetable, so you don't overcommit yourself.
5. Register for Courses.
- You can register for the semester any time during the registration date and time listed in myUFV.
- Register online through myUFV.
- Log onto myUFV
- Select 'Student information'
- Select 'Register, Add, Drop, Waitlist or Withdraw from a class'
- Select the term from the drop down menu and 'SUBMIT'
- Scroll to the bottom and add all of your CRNs in the blanks provided.
- Select 'Submit changes'. Immediately you’ll see which classes you’re registered in. Success!
- Note: If the section (class) is full, you can choose to waitlist from the drop down menu. Select 'Submit changes' again. Now you will be able to see where you are on the waitlist.
- Keep checking your student email for notifications.
- Remember: you can attend the first day of class and ask the instructor if there will be room for you in the class.
- To keep a seat in a class you are registered in, or to have a chance for a waitlisted seat, you MUST show up on the first day of class, or you forfeit your seat.
6. Make an appointment.
- In late October, or early November, make an appointment with an Arts Advisor to plan for your next semester.