Severe weather procedures @ UFV
Information for UFV students & employees
- Check for the latest reports on highway conditions at: www.drivebc.ca
- Check the Trans-Canada Highway webcams located at:
- For current weather conditions:
UFV will close due to severe weather conditions if:
- our buildings become unsafe (e.g. extended power outages, water damage, roof stress, etc.)
- it becomes impossible to maintain safe parking lots, sidewalks, or roads on campus
- there are road advisories or closures on the main highways between our three major campuses.
UFV remains open under normal winter conditions, which often require extra caution by students and employees travelling to and within campuses.
Updates will be posted to the www.ufv.ca home page, to the myUFV portal home page, and to the main telephone line at 1-888-504-7441. In addition, closure information is posted to Twitter (follow us at www.twitter.com/goUFV) and provided to local radio and television stations.
In the event of severe weather, the following scenarios may occur:
- Total closure of all campuses and regional centres, and cancellation of all classes.
- Cancellation of all classes at one or more campuses but the campus will remain open for those who can travel safely.
- Closure of one campus only and classes cancelled on that campus only. The other campuses may remain open with classes there proceeding as scheduled.
Severe weather procedures – added information for UFV employees
If classes are cancelled but a campus is declared “open”, employees should use their own discretion about whether or not they can travel safely.
If a faculty member is unable to travel to teach a class due to weather conditions, he/she should notify:
- the dean and department assistant
- their class list
- Switchboard at 604-504-7441 ext. 0
- Marketing & Communications via email at email@example.com for posting to the online cancellations page, if appropriate.
If a campus is declared “open” but a staff member is unable to get to the campus, he/she should attempt to notify his/her supervisor.
Faculty or staff members should not contact the media directly regarding class cancellations. All media contact will be conducted by Marketing & Communications.