Medical Office Assistant certificate
The Medical Office Assistant certificate program is
designed to prepare students to work as medical office assistants in the medical
1. Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
2. Strong oral and written knowledge of English.
3. 30 wpm minimum typing speed (attach copy of
certification). More Information.
4. Introductory computer course or equivalent
5. Interview with instructor.
6. A CPT score of 48 or better or successful completion
of ESL course level 80 English may be required.
7. Willingness to undergo a security record check.
8. A 500-word written statement outlining your reasons
for taking the program.
When to apply
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year. Qualified applicants are considered for the next intake in which there is space. See Continuous application process for more information.
How to apply
1. Fill out a UFV Application for Admission form (available at ufv.ca/ar/admissions/apply).
2. Fill out a Continuing Studies additional application form (available at ufv.ca/ar/forms).
3. Attach your written statement to the Continuing
Studies application form explaining why you would like to be a medical office
4. Attach all required documentation and submit the
completed application package to the Continuing Studies office at the Abbotsford
5. You may be required to take a composition placement
6. All applicants will be interviewed by the
instructor. You will be contacted by telephone to arrange an appointment.
7. Applications are accepted throughout the year with
appointments beginning in mid-February.
8. Applicants who meet all entrance requirements will
be contacted by mail. Once advised of acceptance into the program, you may
register. The tuition fee is due when you register.
Topics to be covered will include:
Maintaining a filing system
Performing typing tasks
Performing office record keeping
Performing receptionist duties
Maintaining appointment schedules
Maintaining patient records
Processing patient accounts
Using medical terminology
Performing clinical duties
Maintaining professional attitude/confidentiality
Applying principles of anatomy and physiology
Computerized medical billing
Program begins February of each year. Full-time,
Monday through Friday for 12 weeks, plus a two-week practicum. The program is
held in Abbotsford.
Students will be evaluated on classroom participation,
classroom assignments, study projects, and by examination.
complete a required number of medical transcription reports proof read to be
achieve an 80% grade average in bi-weekly testing, and mid-term and final
Students must successfully complete the theory
component with a grade average of 80% before being assigned a practicum
The grading procedure for this program is based on UFV's Grading System policy (101). Official transcripts are issued upon completion of
the entire program.
In addition to classroom activities, students will be
required to research, study and prepare assignments outside of class for
approximately 68 hours per week.
A 90% attendance record must be achieved to
successfully complete the course.
Fees and additional costs
For current program fees, please refer to ufv.ca/moa. All fees which total more than $100 in a calendar year are fully tax
Financial aid is available from a variety of sources.
For more information contact the Financial Aid and Awards office at either the Abbotsford
or Chilliwack campus. A variety of bursary applications are also available from
the Financial Aid and Awards offices.
For more information