The following extended studies certificates will allow graduates with a bachelor's
degree from a recognized university to complete further work to meet the
requirements of majors, extended minors, and minors offered by the
Social, Cultural, and Media Studies department.
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Sociology major
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Sociology minor
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Sociology/Anthropology major
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Anthropology minor
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Latin American Studies
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Latin American Studies minor
- Certificate in Extended Studies in Arts: Media and Communications
1. Completion of a bachelor's degree from a recognized university
2. A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
Admission will be granted on the basis of the Social, Cultural, and Media
Studies department's ability to meet the students' needs. The number of
applicants accepted to the program may be restricted. Applications to the
extended studies in Arts will be accepted on a twice-yearly basis starting on or
after August 1 for the following January, and on or after October 1 for the
Additional documents required for a complete application:
• Official transcripts showing completion of the admission
requirements. To be considered official, transcripts must be sent directly to UFV from the originating institution; see the Transfer Credit section for details. To retain your original
application date, order early so transcripts arrive within two weeks of the date
on which your application is mailed or submitted.
• A letter of intent stating the option for which you are seeking
admission (major, extended minor, or minor, and in which area of study), your
professional and personal reasons for applying to the program, whether
attendance will be on a full-time or part-time basis, and, if known, the
specific courses you anticipate taking. If necessary, the department will call
applicants for an interview to assess their particular needs.
1. Students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all
courses/credits attempted, a minimum GPA of 2.0 in courses/credits offered by the SCMS department, and a
minimum GPA of 2.0 in all upper-level courses/credits.
2. Students must complete the lower-level and upper-level requirements for
the analogous credential, as outlined in the calendar. They are not required to
complete the additional requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree.
3. Credits for some of these courses may be obtained through transfer from
previous post-secondary institutions or prior learning assessment. However, at
least 25% of the total number of credits and 50% of the upper-level credits
required for the minor, extended minor, and major requirements, must be taken at
4. The certificate will require at least an additional five credits of course
5. The following sections of the UFV calendar that apply to the
Bachelor of Arts degree will also apply to these certificates:
standing required for continuance, academic warning, required to withdraw,
appeals for readmission, and standing on readmission.
A program plan will be created for all students, outlining the required
courses to complete the program approved at the time of admission. Once admitted
to the SCMS department, the student will be advised and approved for graduation
by the Arts Advice centre. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the
program plan is followed and all program requirements are met. This should be
done by regular consultation with the UFV Bachelor of Arts advisor. Any changes
to the program must be approved by the Arts Advice Centre and the SCMS
How to apply
Submit the application fee, along with your UFV application form, to the
Admissions and Records (A&R) or Student Services office. You can apply online or download an application form at ufv.ca/ar/admissions/apply. Application forms are also available from any A&R or Student Services office.
Students admitted to an extended studies in Arts certificate will be
scheduled along with degree students, according to UFV's Order of Registration policy (BRP-235.02).
Students admitted to an extended studies in Arts certificate have the same
seat priority as students enrolled in equivalent degree programs (seats are not
reserved for minors).
The certificate will be recognized at convocation and recorded on the
student's transcript with the appropriate option. Graduation requests must be
approved by Senate. Students must submit a request for graduation form to the
Admissions and Records office on or before April 1, with program requirements
met by April 30.
Return to main Social, Cultural, and Media Studies page