Back to Job postings
||Assistant to the Associate Vice-President, Institutional Research & Integrated Planning
||Institutional Research & Integrated Planning
||Staff, 75% full-time, Permanent
||As soon as possible after closing date
||$2,609.39 - $3,149.33 per month (Staff pay group 6)
||January 19, 2017
The University of the Fraser Valley is nationally recognized for its commitment to teaching excellence, community relevance, and Indigenization. With over 100 programs, from graduate and undergraduate arts, science, and professional degrees, to trades and technical education, university preparation, and continuing education UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students.
Reporting to the AVP Institutional Research and Integrated Planning, the Assistant is responsible for supporting office management, conducting research, assisting with projects, and providing confidential administrative support to the AVP. The Assistant is the first point of contact for the Institutional Research and Integrated Planning office. Exercising initiative and sound judgement, the Assistant to the AVP, will:
- Support office management by keeping track of processes, accountabilities, and deadlines including tracking and assisting with department projects
- Be responsible for the department’s records management
- Oversee the coordination and prioritization of the AVP’s schedule and ensure the AVP is aware of issues that require attention
- Deal with delicate situations with a high level of diplomacy, and make referrals when necessary and appropriate
RESEARCH & PROJECTS:
- Research and compile information for reports and/or projects; conduct surveys; and assist with various projects
- Make recommendations to the AVP based on research
- Research and prepare information and reports on items such as university survey policy
- Review, design, and format key university reports such as the Accountability Report
- Handle and process confidential materials and time-sensitive projects
- Review, prioritize, and respond to incoming correspondence
- Draft correspondence, reports and other materials, including those of a complex and/or highly sensitive nature
- Co-ordinate communication with external stakeholders such as the Ministry and media outlets
- Provide support to the university community for survey software
- Organize submissions and prepare agendas for meetings including department, data quality, and FTE
- Coordinate meetings; take and transcribe meeting minutes, maintain records, follow-up on action items
- Coordinate the hiring process for department SACs and prepare staff contracts
- Maintain vacation schedules and leave/absences
- Prepare brochures and information pamphlets
BUDGETING & ACCOUNTING
- Review budgetary variances and inconsistencies; reconcile monthly expense statements; initiate funding transfers
- Process and monitor purchase orders, expense claims, and timesheets
- Manage and design the department website
- A two-year diploma, from a recognized post-secondary institution, or equivalent (relevant fields include Business, Computer Information Systems, Math & Statistics, Communications, English, Science)
- Three (3) years administrative experience, preferably at the senior assistant level, in a post-secondary institution environment
- Superior interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and research skills
- Experience working in a team environment and exhibiting respect for all colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal or no supervision
- A clear understanding of boundaries in the workplace
- Be adaptable, ability to manage change
- Excellent knowledge of office practices and procedures, and strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- A high level of competency in a variety of software applications, including Microsoft Outlook calendar/email, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Positive attitude
- Knowledge and understanding of post-secondary policies and procedures is preferred
- Web editing skills; familiarity with a Content Management System is an asset
- Experience with UFV accounting practices and financial reporting is an asset
How to apply
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by January 19, 2017, referring to Re-Posting #2017.03 to
Find out how to prepare your application
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road, Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554 Fax: (604) 854-1538 Website: www.ufv.ca
Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
Back to Job postings