Communications Minor learning outcomes
Demonstrate competency in creating professional messages across a wide spectrum of media that fulfill specific communication purposes and meet the needs of the audience.
- Create direct and indirect messages for print, digital, and oral media in regional and global contexts
- Compose, evaluate, and critique a wide variety of message types
- Engage in planning, brainstorming, drafting, and revising stages in message development
- Use concise, clear, correct language
Model effective and professional communication skills for interpersonal, team, organizational, and culturally diverse contexts.
- Translate knowledge for different audiences and purposes
- Demonstrate cultural responsiveness
- Work collaboratively and productively in a team
Demonstrate information literacy skills.
- Gather, evaluate, and incorporate evidence to support claims/arguments
- Apply citation styles correctly
Practice common document design techniques as they apply to a variety of workplace messages.
- Design effective and attractive documents and support materials by adhering to basic principles of design
- Determine appropriate visual requirements
- Create effective visuals
Apply rhetorical principles to the design and delivery of oral, print, and digital messages.
- Analyze an audience to determine the message medium, form, and tone
- Identify interactional goals
- Construct valid arguments
- Use ethical practices and language in preparing messages