Call 1-888-823-8734 or 604-504-7441 and quote course number.
Crane Operator program (Stiff Boom 40 Tonnes & Under)
Program status: Currently accepting applications
The Crane Operator program includes two levels: Crane Operator Level B and Crane Operator Level A, each taking four weeks to complete. After eight weeks, you are fully prepared to write your Level A Certification exam to become a certified crane operator and write your Level A Certification assessment. When you pass the assessment, you become a certified Stiff Boom 40 Tonnes & Under operator with no restrictions.
Crane Operator Level B
This program provides training that is designed to equip you with the required information for Level B Crane Operator Certification Training. It covers a wide scope of content that sets the foundational knowledge necessary for success as a crane operator.
The theory courses include a review of the WorkSafeBC regulations, power line safety, lifting techniques, workplace hazardous materials, crane inspection and site hazards. The course also covers rigging knowledge, review the applications of hardware and go over load chart knowledge. Throughout the program, quizzes give you direct feedback of your knowledge.
CRN 80205 Crane Operator Level B
Tuition and fees
$5450.00 textbooks included.
- Grade 12 completion or equivalent or five years of experience with permission from program’s director
- Successful completion of UFV math and communications entrance exams
- Class 3 BC driver’s licence with air endorsement
- Steel toe safety boots or shoes, safety vest and hard hat are required for entry into crane yard
- Appropriate attire (warm clothes and rain gear)
- Class 1 driver's licence
- Introduction of crane certification process
- Safety fundamentals for crane operators
- Communications knowledge
- Rigging knowledge
- Load chart knowledge
- Crane rigging charts
- Crane pre-trip inspections & set-up
- Crane operation knowledge
- Crane service & maintenance
Level B certification training is based on a pass/fail system. Successful completion of all three categories is required to advance to the Eagle West Crane Academy Level A Certification Training.
- Quizzes/ Assignments: 70% on each assignment and quiz is required for pass.
- Participation/ Professionalism: Attendance and 100% compliance with Eagle West Cranes’ policy manual and UFV’s policies are required to pass.
- BC Association for Crane Safety Crane Core Theory Test: see www.fulford.ca for passing requirements.
Crane Operator Level B is scheduled to run for four weeks, starting on Oct 6, 2014. Classes run from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm (with 30 minutes for lunch) from Monday to Friday at Eagle West Cranes, 2190 Carpenter Street in Abbotsford. No class on Oct 13.
Mobile Crane Operator Level B
(CRN 80205) 20 sessions, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, 7:30 am - 3:30 pm, Starts Oct 6. No Class on Oct 13.
Crane Operator Level A
Taught by an accomplished crane operator and instructor, the Level A certification training program combines in-class content with practical experience. Students are provided access to cranes to gain hours of operation and learn how to operate stiff boom and folding boom cranes. The goal of the Level A training program is to equip you for the Level A Assessment and to provide additional opportunities to train to be safe and confident crane operators in the workforce.
CRN 80378 Crane Operator Level A
Tuition and fees
- Pre-operational inspection
- Hazard assessment and safety meetings
- Rigging and load charts
- Radio communications and hand signals
- Stiff boom and folding boom orientation including setup, load lifting, load control and teardown
- Installing and using a job
- Written lift plans for critical lifts
- Equipment logbook
Assessment is completed by a Fulford Certification assessor, who determines if you pass or fail.
After you are certified as a Stiff Boom 40 Tonnes & Under crane operator, you may begin your career with no operating restrictions.
If you want to take the next step and operate hydraulic cranes, you may submit an application to the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and register as an apprentice for your crane type.
- Successful completion of the Level B Certification Program
- Application (résumé) stating past employment, training, references and intent for continuing in the Eagle West Crane Academy Crane Certification Program. Acceptance into the Level A Certification Training is at the discretion of Eagle West Crane Academy.
The Crane Operator Level A program is scheduled to run for for eight weeks. Classes run from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm (with 30 minutes for lunch) from Monday to Friday at Eagle West Cranes, 2190 Carpenter Street in Abbotsford.
Mobile Crane Operator Level A
CRN80378 20 sessions, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, 7:30 am–3:30 pm, starts Nov 3. No class on Nov 11.