International Students

Applying for a SIN Card
Canadian Resumes

** Please note that the International Department now handles all Work Permit related questions. Please email Sue Chapman with your inquiries at **

Applying for a SIN Card

In order to be paid by an employer in Canada, you will be required to have a SIN number.  For more information on how to obtain a SIN card please visit the Service Canada website.

Canadian Resumes

There are several differences when writing a Canadian resume versus an international resume. The following are some great tips on writing the perfect Canadian resume.

In Canada, the following should not be included in your resume:

  • Date of birth
  • Social insurance number
  • Marital status
  • Religion
  • Picture of yourself

However, be sure to include: 

  • A summary of your qualifications highlighting your skills, abilities, and expertise
  • Not only your job title and location, but specific actions concerning the tasks you performed for your work experience.

For more help with writing your resume, see our Career Resources section and/or book an appointment with a Career Coach through CareerLink.


International Students who are studying in Canada have the right, and for some the responsibility, to file income tax returns to the Government of Canada.  If you have been working in Canada and are earning an income, you MUST file an income tax return.  International students that have not been working in Canada are still encouraged to file an income tax return as they can receive credit for tuition, GST/HST, etc.

Items required to file income taxes:

  • Your tuition receipt (T2202A)
  • Your rent receipts from January to December of the previous year
  • Public Transit receipts for passes purchased that were at least one month in duration
  • Your textbook receipts
  • Your T4 or T4A or T5 slip (only for students who are working and have earned income)
  • A completed Determination of Residency form (NR74-03E)
  • Your social Insurance Number - SIN (if working) or A completed Individual Tax Number form - T1261 (for International Students who aren't working)
  • Photocopy of the front page of your passport
  • Photocopy of your study permit

Check out the following resources for more information on what is required for filing your income tax return:

For more infromation of the following topics be sure to consult the International Student Guidebook located at the top of the page. 

All upcoming events
Event Calendar



Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV