Work Study Process for Faculty and Staff (Review Operational Guidelines above)
- Faculty and staff received Work-Study information mid April, including criteria and deadline date for submission of a Work Study Grant Application form. The deadline to submit an application request for the Summer 2014, Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 semester is Thursday, May 15, 2014.
- Application Requests will be assessed by the Work-Study Advisory Committee, based on established guidelines and criteria as outlined in the Operational Guidelines. Faculty and staff will receive information about funding decisions by May 30, 2014. Approved Work Study job postings for the summer should be posted by June 15, 2014. Postings will be posted online only, through UFV Career Centre's CareerLink online system. Students should be directed to the Career Centre, room B238, if they require assistance.
- Eligible students apply directly through CareerLink to the supervisor listed on the posting. See eligibility criteria above. Work Study positions must be posted for minimum one week and may be posted longer than one week. Students can apply for positions until they are closed. Supervisors will collect applications and hire only eligible students.
- Supervisor will meet with student applicants and choose an appropriate candidate.
- Supervisor must immediately contact the Work Study Coordinator to advise of student placement with student name and student number.
- The supervisor directs the student to complete their employment contract information in CareerLink. Student enters employment information in their CareerLink account under the Profile / Placements (including Work-Study) tabs and Add New. Placement information required is as follows: Placement Type (from drop-down list) - UFV Work Study; Job Title - from posting; Employer - from drop-down list; Department; Supervisor Name; Student Number; Social Insurance Number; Birthdate; Home Address; Start date; End date; Wage ($10.25 per hour); hours per week (from posting).
- Students may work during the fall/winter/summer semesters, as long as they continue to meet the criteria for eligibility.
- All time sheets are to be submitted to the Career Centre department by the deadline dates listed on the Finance Payroll Pay Schedule.
Posting a Work Study Position
All Work-Study positions are now posted through the Career Centre's new online career management system CareerLink. Once your position request has been APPROVED, you will be required to post your Work Study position online so that UFV students can apply directly through CareerLink.
Please follow these steps carefully:
- In order to post your position, you will need to be registered with CareerLink. Please read through the following instructions and then log in to CareerLink (link provided at bottom of page). If you posted a Work-Study job before, you will already be registered with CareerLink.
- On the log in page of CareerLink you will see a button marked "Register and Post a Job". OR, if you are already registered with CareerLink, please log in using your Username (UFV e-mail address) and Password.
- Please fill in all required information (marked with red asterisks).
- For the industry section, please select "education".
- Under Organization, indicate University of the Fraser Valley - Department Name (for consistency, please follow this naming convention).
- For Services Requested, select "profile" and "job postings" only.
- Under Contact Type, please indicate Work Study Employer
- Once you have filled in all basic contact information and agreed to the policy, please click 'Next'.
- You are now on the job posting form. Please fill in the information as follows:
1. Position Type, select Work Study
2. Is this a Co-op job? Select 'No'
3. Is this a Work-Study Job? Select "Yes"
4. You must indicate your compliance with the Work-Study Agreement by clicking "Yes" or your posting will not be approved.
5. Job Title: enter job title of work study position
6. Number of Openings: 1
7. Job Description: enter job description of work-study position
8. Qualifications: enter required and preferred qualifications
In the qualifications, please include the following statement for Fall and Winter only: This position is open to UFV students only. In order to be eligible, a student must be registered in a minimum of 9 UFV credits for the current term or 6 UFV credits if registered with Disability Services or 18 hours per week if registered in non-credit courses and maintain a GPA of 2.0 or greater.
9. Hours per week: up to 10 (or hours per week that have been allocated to this position)
10. Remuneration: $10.25 effective 1 May 2012 (plus 10% in lieu of all benefits are automatically added by the Finance department)
11. Closing date: choose from calendar
12. Posting date: choose from calendar
13. Job Location: enter campus location
14. Desired Start Date: optional
15. Duration: optional
16. Desired majors: Select appropriate major(s) if necessary, or "all majors" if all students can apply.
17. Resume receipt: check E-mail. This will e-mail applications to you as they are uploaded by students.
18. Display contact information: Check box and enter your name if you would like students to know who they are applying to.
19. Additional Documents: check Cover Letter and Unofficial Transcript. The transcript provides proof that the student is registered in a minimum of 9 credits of 18 hours per week for the semester and has a GPA of 2.0 or greater for Fall and Winter only. Students will upload transcript information from MyUFV.
- You can log in to CareerLink at any time once your registration is approved to view your Work-Study posting and student applications. When you log in for the first time you will be required to fill in your 'organizational profile'. This is simply a brief description of your department which is accessible by students when searching organizations.
Please login to CareerLink here.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact Janelle.Harder@ufv.ca at the Career Centre.