Virtual Reference Collections | Almanacs, Yearbooks and Annual Reports | Atlases | Biography | Conversion | Dictionaries | Digital Collections | Directories | Encyclopaedias | Government Information | Internet Searching | Legislation | News | Statistics
Search the Library's Reference Collection
Enter your search terms in the box below to search the contents of our print and electronic encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries and more!
Best Bets for Online Reference
- Reference Universe - Search the contents of UFV's print and electronic reference collections in one easy step
- Oxford Reference Online Premium - Over 170 online reference books from Oxford University Press. (UFV has a license for this product.)
- Sage Knowledge - This reference database includes hundreds of Sage handbooks and encyclopedias, providing detailed, authorative background information in the social sciences.
- Blackwell Reference Online - Authoritative handbooks and companions in the humanities and social sciences.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Subject specialized encyclopedias from prestigious academic publishers including Greenwood, Elsevier, MacMillan and Gale. (UFV has a license for this product.)
- AccessScience - A multi-media scholarly reference source in the area of science and technology, and is comprised of the following: McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (10th edition), McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Yearbook of Science & Technology, and approximately 3500 biographies of scientists.
- Funk & Wagnall's New World Encyclopedia - a general encyclopedia covering all subject areas. (UFV has a license for this product.)
- Encyclopedia of British Columbia - Comprehensive online reference source for British Columiba-related information, including articles, photographs, statistics, maps, tables, charts, diagrams, sound clips, video clips and links to Web sites. (UFV has a license for this product.)
Virtual Reference Collections
- Answers.com - wide subject coverage, with material drawn from recognized reference sources
- Bartleby.com - respected reference sources, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, and much more
- Virtual Reference Shelf - general and subject specific reference sources, compiled by Library of Congress
Almanacs, Yearbooks, Annual Reports ( Provide good Statistical information )
- Amnesty International Annual Report - report on human rights in 159 countries
- B.C Vital Statistics Agency Annual Report - detailed statistics on birth, death, marriages
- Canada Year Book - very good source for Canadian statistics. From Statistics Canada
- Canada Year Book Historical Collection - online collection of the Canada Yearbook, from 1867 - 1967. Excellent resource for historical statistics, demographic information, economic data.
- Demographic Yearbook - detailed demographic statistics for over 230 countries in the world
- State of the World's Children - (UNICEF) Information on the state of children throughout the world
- World Development Indicators - Comprehensive data on countries of the world. Poverty, population, unemployment, housing, pollution, etc.
- World Factbook - information on geography, demographics, government, economy of countries
Dictionaries / Thesauri
Associations and Organizations
College and Universities
Libraries and Museums
- Books in Print (Global) - Database of over 11 million books, audio books and video titles. Provides publishing and price information. (UFV has a license for this product.)
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory - comprehensive directory of information for serials (journals, magazines, etc.) published worldwide. (UFV has a license for this product.)
Social Service Agencies
Law and Legislation
- Revised August 15, 2012 dc