Ordering Library Materials
Departmental allocations for purchasing library materials
- Each Instructional Department receives an allocation for one-time purchases of library materials including books and DVD's. This allocation is not used for periodical or database subscriptions.
- At the start of the fiscal year, the Library in consultation with the Library Advisory Committee determines the allocation amounts.
- Each Department is responsible for further allocating its amount among the faculty in the Department.
- Provide as much bibliographic information as possible and include the ISBN if available.
- Number of copies and campus location should be provided for each title ordered.
- The maximum number of copies of any one title is two copies per campus location.
- All orders must be initialled/signed by your Department Head or designate.
- Orders must conform to the University of the Fraser Valley's Collection Development Policy.
- Send orders to your Liaison Librarian
Deadlines for ordering
- Deadlines are necessary to ensure receipt of goods and payment of invoices before the fiscal year end.
- Departmental funds not used by the deadline are transferred to the general library budget for the purchase of reference, general and interdisciplinary titles.
||at least 50% of funds to be encumbered (ordered &/or received)
||100% of funds to be encumbered (ordered &/or received)
Assistance with ordering
- Liaison librarians are available to assist you with collection development for your program or discipline.
- Selection tools include:
- The library requests that instructors do not purchase books from their own funds and then ask the library for reimbursement. This process does not allow for proper verification that the item purchased is not already in the collection, or on order. Also, the library's accounting system is not set up to handle these types of reimbursements.
- Please contact your Liaison librarian to request reports on your budget and/or orders.
Revised: July 9, 2013 MAM