Mission, values and principles
At the heart of the Child, Youth, and Family Studies (CYFS) department is the belief that infants, children, youth, and families are significant and need the opportunity to grow and develop optimally.
Our mission is to educate and prepare students to work with infants, children, youth, families, and communities by promoting professionalism, highest standards of practice, and awareness of current trends and issues regarding work in the field.
We do this by:
- Using educationally current instructional methodologies.
- Inclusiveness to support people of all abilities, cultures, and beliefs.
- Being learner-centred and facilitating learner success.
- Encouraging lifelong professional development through research and scholarly activity.
- Building and maintaining significant relationships with educational and community partners.
The CYFS department is a member of:
- The Federation of Community Social Services of BC
- Child and Youth Care Association of British Columbia
- Early childhood educators of BC
- The Child and Youth Care Education Consortium of British Columbia