Study Resources and Prerequisite Links for Students
This section is intended for student use. The intention is that faculty may refer students to these resources to help them with studying, brushing up on prerequisite knowledge, and acquiring technological skills. It includes prerequisite resources or videos, links to labs performed in settings impossible to replicate at UFV, scientific writing examples, study apps, LaTeX materials, Excel materials, SPSS materials, information about Windows file management, and using network drives on campus.
Key Concept Videos
Please note that the following are sample links, and if you are looking for a specific topic, searching YouTube for that topic is a great first step to finding an explanation that is helpful. Not all explanations are always correct online, so the specific topic links included below are only links that have been suggested by UFV faculty. If you have a favorite resource link that you’d like to add, please suggest it in the Changes and Additions Form.
- Prerequisite content videos from basics through to pre–calculus
- This resource set is curated and collected by Anna Kuczynska, who teaches mathematics in the Upgrading and University Preparation Department at UFV, and works at the UFV Math and Stats Centre. The resource includes videos created in–house by Anna Kuczynska, Judy Larsen, and Telyn Kusalik. Please see the tabs at the bottom of the Google Sheet to select the UFV Math course number for corresponding resources. Anna has also initiated an ‘Activities’ tab to collect ideas for in–class activities. If you are interested in how Anna, Judy, and Telyn, use videos to enhance their students’ learning, see their descriptions in the General Teaching Ideas Page.
- Algebraic properties (Commutative, Associative, Inverse, Identity, Distributive, like terms, and simplifying variable expressions) – Judy Larsen
- Solving linear equations (linear equations in one variable) – Judy Larsen
- Algebraic manipulation (Solving multivariable formulas, solving equations) – Judy Larsen
- Fundamental Theorem of Calculus – Khan Academy
- Khan Academy – All topics
- Calculus Applets using GeoGebra (an extensive Calculus applet collection with definitions)
- Row and Column Pictures for a System of Linear Equations – GeoGebra applet by Eugene Yablonsky
- Physical Geography
- ExcelIsFun YouTube Channel – a comprehensive collection of Excel tutorials with downloadable worksheets (see here for a statistical analysis example)
Mobile Apps for Studying
A great study idea is to find an app on your mobile device that will help you study your content. There are no recommended apps at this time, but if you have one to suggest, please use the Changes and Additions Form.