Community Support Worker Certificate

Why earn a Community Support Worker certificate?

You want to be involved in your community and you know you can make a difference in someone’s life. This program will prepare you to work in a variety of roles with children and adults with mental and/or physical disabilities. As a graduate, you will be prepared for employment in community support roles, such as group homes for people with mental and/or physical disabilities, and in various special education settings. You can also tailor your studies to become a special education assistant where you would work under the supervision of classroom teachers and perform such duties as coaching in basic subjects, preparing specialized teaching materials, and meeting students’ special physical needs, as well as maintaining progress records.

Once you have earned your Community Support Worker certificate, you can apply to earn a Social Services diploma entering at the second year, which will then qualify you for employment in program management and administration.

Why study at UFV?

You have a busy life. We realize that. That’s why we offer this program on either a full or part-time basis. The community support worker program includes both theoretical studies and practical applications and focuses on basic information and skills that are needed by front-line workers in the social services and educational systems. You’ll get a thorough understanding of professional roles and standards, values and ethics, history of service delivery, philosophies, training technologies, communication, and creation of community support. 

What type of career can I expect?

Typical jobs for which diploma graduates are qualified include the following: community service worker, teacher aide, and residential service worker. Many students find jobs through their fieldwork placements, which are carefully selected for employment potential. However, completion of the program does not guarantee that you will find the job of your choice immediately upon graduation. 

Can I transfer any of these courses for a diploma or degree program?

Absolutely. Once you’ve earned your Community Support Worker certificate, you can apply to study for your Social Services diploma, which will then qualify you for jobs in program management and administration. You will find that many of the courses you take in this program can be used towards other diploma and degree programs.

Anything else I need to know about this program?

This is a multi-campus program, and because we offer a part-time option to those who are currently working, some courses, such as HSER 196, are only offered on Saturdays in Chilliwack. Others are only offered in Abbotsford (e.g. HSER 127, 190, 192, and 195). 

You can see the CSW program's structure and approximate fee structure by downloading this file CSW Fee Structure.

What do I need to get in?

You must have your B.C. secondary school graduation or equivalent (ABE Provincial, Advanced, or GED). If you’re a mature student, and you have at least three university-transfer credits that apply to the program, you do not require a high school transcript.

To qualify for the program:

  • You must be physically and emotionally prepared to undertake this program of studies
  • You must be willing to undergo a Criminal Record Check
  • You must be at least 19 years old to participate in the practicum
  • You must also participate in a group interview, which generally consists of four to six students and two Social Service department members, where you will discuss your career goals and your knowledge of the field
  • You must also demonstrate appropriate interpersonal and life skills. Your suitability for working with people with disabilities will be assessed using a point rating system with points awarded for past academic education, all work or volunteer experience, demonstrated writing ability, reference letters, personal statement, and a group interview

Admission will be granted on a first-qualified, first-served basis to those scoring above the required threshold and who have completed a successful interview.

I'm interested. What's the next step?

Visit the Application Forms & Forms webpage and download the appropriate application forms. Follow the application procedures on the Admissions webpage.

When can I apply?

Submit your application after October 1 for the following September. Early application is encouraged.

Applications received after January 31 will be considered if spaces are still available in the program.

Applications will be accepted until the program is filled.

What sort of support will I get?

Plenty. For more information about support and services at UFV, visit Student Services and learn about the broad range of services designed to help you learn about and adjust to the university environment. 

I'm not sure that this program is for me. Can I speak with someone about my options?

Absolutely! We want to hear from you. If you’re unsure of your direction, contact the Advising Centre to book an advising appointment.

To arrange a tour, attend an info session, or find other useful resources, visit the Future Students webpage.

Also, feel free to contact the school of Social Work and Human Services directly at

Sounds good. What do I do now?

Visit the Future Students webpage for a step-by-step process to becoming a UFV student. Have specific questions? Contact the school of Social Work and Human Service's Program Advisor at

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV