Snow and ice removal
For weather information impacting UFV, see the severe weather notices.
Provision for snow clearance and ice control for the University is provided by a contracted snow removal contractor.
Whenever possible, snow and ice control activities will be scheduled during campus off-hours to minimize disruption to routine UFV educational and operational activities. The aim is to have all roads, parking lots and sidewalks snow and ice free by 8 am on each "school" day.
The following is the order of priority for snow removal and/or sanding:
- sidewalk ramps, curb cuts and parking stalls used by the disabled
- main building entrances and emergency road access points
- sidewalks, when required.Walks are generally sanded and/or salted once in the morning and once again in the afternoon (or increased depending on the need)
- roads and parking lots
In Winter, Watch Your Step...
Most accidents due to ice, snow and general winter conditions are preventable.
Here are a few guidelines to help us get through the season safely:
- While travelling to and from work or school, wear appropriate winter footwear - preferably with flat, rubber, slip-resistant soles. A second pair of footwear should be kept at the workplace.
- Where possible, walk on plowed, sanded, well-lit paths and walkways. Avoid taking short cuts over snow banks.
- Be extra careful when getting out of your vehicle in parking lots as it is very difficult to sand between parked cars, and there may be slippery patches.
- Always use handrails on steps and walk carefully.
- Cross roadways at pedestrian crosswalks.