Upgrading and University Preparation

Upgrading and University Preparation

Upgrade your skills and achieve your goals

UFV's Upgrading and University Preparation (UUP) programs and courses can help you upgrade your academic and workplace skills to help you reach your educational or employment goals. Courses and programs are available for adults of all backgrounds and ages, including those with special needs.

Want to complete high school and earn your Adult Graduation diploma?

Apply for the Adult Basic Education (ABE program) and get your BC Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood). Courses can also be used to improve your literacy, numeracy, and computer skills or to meet university program prerequisites.

Need help to prepare for university studies?

If you don’t have your high school diploma and need help to get ready for university studies and meet entrance requirements for your chosen program, Adult Basic Education University Preparation (ABEUP) is the right path for you.

Can I take an upgrading course if I am not in the ABE or ABEUP program?

Yes, as long as you have been accepted to another program at UFV, and you meet the prerequisites for the course you wish to take. If you don’t meet the prerequisite, you can meet with an upgrading assistant to discuss your options.

Living with a disability and looking to maximize your employment potential?

If you are an adult living with a disability, you can apply for the Workplace Training in Attitudes, Skills, and Knowledge (TASK) program to explore employment opportunities and prepare for a job.

Adult Basic Education courses are tuition-free for domestic students

As a domestic student, you don’t have to pay tuition when you register for Adult Basic Education courses.

Are there other costs involved?

Yes. Although tuition is free, you are responsible for textbooks, classroom supplies, parking, and other semester-based fees.

The Student Union Society (SUS) Health and Dental Plan fee is charged to students who are enrolled in nine or more credits. It is charged in the fall semester only, but provides coverage from September to August. Students may opt out if they have equivalent coverage with another health plan. If you have questions about the Health and Dental Plan, please contact the Student Union Society.

Is there funding available to help with these other costs?

Yes. The Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) is available to qualifying students to help cover the cost of fees, textbooks, supplies, and other costs. Applications must be submitted to the Financial Aid office at least four weeks before classes start. You can also visit  Financial Aid to find out what other grants and funding may be available to you.

Hayley Westwood headshot

Upgrading through UFV was absolutely the right decision for me. I could get my foot in the door at a wonderful university, and despite having not yet completed high school, I feel like a real university student! The upgrading courses are fun and have a relaxed environment — allowing you to thrive and flourish academically.

  • – Hayley Westwood
Read more

Contact Us