On this page:
- One THREE (3) year renewable term (January 2024 – Dec 2027) for an HREB member with expertise in relevant research disciplines, fields and methodologies covered by the HREB; expertise from faculty in psychology, social work, or sociology is preferred.
*Note opportunities will remain open until filled.
CALL FOR MEMBERS - GENERAL
UFV’s Human Research Ethics Board (HREB) invites applications from the broad university community for the following member categories, as per Basic Research Ethics Board Membership Requirements in the Tri-Council Policy Statement (currently TCPS 2 2022):
- One THREE (3) year renewable term (January 2024 – Dec 2027) for an HREB member with expertise in relevant research disciplines, fields and methodologies covered by the HREB; expertise from faculty in psychology, social work, or sociology is an asset.
- The HREB at UFV reviews primarily social sciences, health sciences, and humanities research, thus, this person should have contextual and disciplinary knowledge in ethics related to these areas.
- Applicants should also have knowledge of the Ethics Framework of the TCPS2 and be able to apply the application of the Core Principles of Respect for Persons, Concern for Welfare, and Justice to the ethics applications we receive.
- Successful applicants will have current or recent experience conducting research with human participants and/or research ethics expertise. Applications from those who have submitted high quality applications to the HREB are particularly encouraged.
- Applicants must be UFV employees with work contracts that align with the term length of the position.
The HREB is a delegation of the President’s Office at UFV, and has the authority to approve, reject, propose modifications to or terminate all proposed or ongoing research involving humans within the institution’s jurisdiction based on the ethical considerations as set forth in the UFV Human Research Ethics Policy Manual (#54; #53; #51; #142).
Applicants will be required to undertake the most recent TCPS2 Core tutorial training.
This committee meets on week 4 Thursdays of the UFV meeting schedule, from 4:00pm – 6:00 pm to conduct reviews of ethics applications. The meeting schedule can be found here: https://www.ufv.ca/research-ethics/board/meeting-deadlines/. There will also be additional work outside of meetings to review minimal risk applications. If you would like more information, please contact the Chair of the HREB, Dr. Gillian Hatfield (email@example.com).
The HREB is committed to elevating the voices of those historically marginalized by research. As such, it is especially important to be aware of the issues, concerns, and perspectives of those from historically equity deserving populations. To this end, we welcome and strongly encourage applications from members of these groups. If you require any accommodation, please include your request in the application email.
If you are interested, please submit a 3-page CV and a one-page statement of interest outlining your skills and experiences as they pertain to the selection criteria listed above to the Ethics and Compliance Officer, Yvette Fairweather (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Dec 1. Please include the subject line “Application for HREB position” and indicate which position you are applying for.
The HREB Chair and Vice Chair will review all applications, make a recommendation to the board, and contact the successful applicant.