Skip to main content

Office of the Registrar

Tax receipts (T2202)

2022 Tax Receipts

Tax receipts for the 2022 tax year are now available.

What is a T2202?

A T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate is an official Canadian tax certificate issued to all UFV students registered in credit courses. The certificate contains the amount of eligible tuition and/or fees paid for the tax year, as well as the number of months a student was registered in full- or part-time studies. The T2202 certificate will allow you to use tuition paid as a tax deduction on your income tax return. Effective 2019, this certificate has been re-numbered: it was formerly the T2202A.

Why is UFV asking for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Effective the 2019 tax year, all post-secondary institutions are required to provide the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with students' Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) on Form T2202 Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate. A T2202 certificate is produced for all students at UFV who are registered in credit courses within a calendar year. International students may not have or require a Social Insurance Number.

More information about authorized federal uses of the SIN can be found here.

Where can I submit my SIN on myUFV?

To update your record through self-service, please login to your myUFV portal. On the home page, you will find a section where you can provide your SIN. Simply enter your number and click the save button.

myUFV SIN Portlet

Where can I find my T2202 certificate?

Your T2202 certificate will be available through myUFV by the end of February each year, but will not be mailed. While CRA has requested your SIN, if you have not provided it, you can still print your certificate. Please log in to myUFV and make the following selections:

» Student Information » Student Tax Notification

  • the tax certificate will open in a new window as a PDF. Ensure your pop-up blockers are disabled to view and print the certificate. 
  • for students who have not yet provided their SIN you will see the following message when accessing your certificate - "Social Insurance Number (SIN) is invalid, provide valid SIN". Click the "OK" button to proceed. You can then write your SIN in the space provided on the certificate. You can also visit the Office of the Registrar to have your SIN added to your record.

Why is some of my tuition not on my T2202 certificate?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has guidelines that determine which courses and/or fees are eligible and UFV must follow these guidelines. For that reason, the tuition for some courses will not be noted on your T2202 certificate. This may affect the tuition amount you are eligible to claim as well as your full/part-time months.

As an example, Upgrading and English Language Studies (ELS) courses do not qualify for tuition amounts and will not be included in the calculation of full- or part-time months.

For more information about course eligibility, information about tuition tax credit and education tax credits on the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Why does my T2202 certificate have number of months noted?

When you do your taxes, you will use the number of months to calculate the education tax credit and textbook tax credit. You can claim only one education amount for each month, either full- or part-time. Your eligible months will be listed under the appropriate column on your T2202.

The calculation is as follows:

  • Full-time: registered in a qualifying program (or eligible courses) that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work per week (does not include study time).

  • Part-time: registered in a qualifying program (or eligible courses) that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 12 hours of instruction or work per month (does not include study time).

What if I need to update my SIN?

If you have determined that the SIN on myUFV is incorrect or it requires updating, you will need to provide us with the updated number on a card or SIN confirmation letter in person at any Registrar’s Office. Be sure to bring your UFV student ID card so that we are able to update your records.

I am a non-resident of Canada. Am I required to provide a SIN? Do I need a T2202?

If you are a non-resident of Canada, you are not required to provide a SIN. The Canada Revenue Agency’s definition of a non-resident for tax purposes can be found here.

If you have earned income in Canada and are filing a Canadian tax return, you are required to provide UFV your SIN. The T2202 tax certificate will allow you to use tuition paid as a tax deduction on your income tax return. Please consult the Government of Canada tax obligations site International students studying in Canada for more information.

I do not have a SIN. How can I apply for one?

There is no fee to apply for a SIN. The easiest way to do this is to visit a Service Canada Office. You can locate a Service Canada office at the Service Canada website.

Information about how to apply for your SIN card is located on the Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website.

I misplaced or cannot remember my SIN. What should I do?

The easiest way to access your SIN is to consult your most recent Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency. If this isn’t available, you can request a confirmation of SIN from Service Canada. The Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website will provide you with details on what documentation you will need to request a confirmation.

Contact Us