Exercising in air pollution: What do we know, what don’t we know, and what can practitioners do to help clients?
This course is targeted towards exercise professionals such as kinesiologists, personal trainers, CSEP CEPs/CPTs, and athletic therapists (see professional development credits below). The course will introduce the effects of air pollution in relation to exercise, health, and performance. You will learn about different types of air pollutants, their health effects, and implications of air pollution exposure during exercise. In addition, you will learn about strategies to minimize the health impacts of air pollution during exercise.
The course will consist of a mixture of lectures, activities, unit quizzes, and an end-of-course quiz (approx. 2 hours and 20 minutes of lectures plus 1.5-2 hours of activities).
- Unit 1: What is air pollution and how does it affect health?
- Unit 2: What are the health/physiological effects of exercising in air pollution?
- Unit 3: How can exercising in air pollution affect exercise performance?
- Unit 4: Strategies to mitigate risk.
For more information about the course and CE/PD credits, see the Exercise and Air Pollution outline.
Delivery method: Online with no scheduled meeting times
May 1–Aug 31 | 40252
- This course will be asynchronous and can be completed in your own time.
- The course is available for completion until August 31.
- This course will run as an online class and the course/course material will be available through myClass.
How to register: Call 1-888-823-8734 between the hours of 9 AM and 4 PM PST and select Option 1. Quote the course name and CRN 40252.
- Once you have registered over the phone you will receive two emails:
- One from UFV Admissions that provides your UFV student number, as well as instructions on how to access myUFV and how to create/reset your password.
- One from our IT department informing you how to access your UFV email through Office 365.
- Course material will be accessible between May 1 and August 31.
- Each Monday between May 1 and August 31, new registrants will receive an email to their UFV student email, outlining how to access course material (e.g., if you registered on Wednesday, you would receive this email the following Monday).
- For those wishing to access course material prior to receiving the above email, see the information below or download the following: Air Pollution and Exercise - myClass access and welcome email.
Accessing the Course Material
Both myUFV and myClass links can be can be found on the top right of the UFV.ca website.
- Access myUFV.
- Use your student number and password to log in (see the email from Admissions for your UFV student number).
- First time users use myUFV Login Assistant, or to reset your password follow the instructions on the UFV ITS website.
- Access myClass, which provides direct access to the course material.
- Use your UFV student email and password to log in (your password is the same as your myUFV password).
- Once logged in, click on “Courses” (on the left-hand side). Click on the course (HLTH-EXPO-ON1) to see the course material and get started.
For any questions regarding the course, please contact Luisa Giles: firstname.lastname@example.org